Sunday, October 24, 2010

Visual Information

This photograph would be a good way to visualize my topic because meaningful information can be extracted from it. By looking at this picture you can see that these young men seem interested in the computer and that there are three of them using the single computer.This visual information could be interpreted as showing that there is a desire for more technology use in developing countries while also illustrating the lack of financial resources to bring in more technology.



This photograph would not be a good way to illustrate my topic because very little meaningful information pertaining to my topic can be gathered by seeing this photograph. By looking at this photo you can understand that this man (who is an Indian monk) has the ability to use a cell phone. While this is marginally related to my topic, it has such a dearth of meaningful visual information it cannot be considered a good photograph to illustrate my topic.

This photograph is a good example of visual information for my topic because by looking at it you can understand my topic a bit better. This picture illustrates a makeshift windmill made by a young Malawian boy named William Kamkwamba in order to bring electricity to his village. The photo represents the technological ingenuity and thirst for technology present in the developing world. The caveat with this photo however is that it may need a little accompanying textual explanation in order for the reader to fully understand its meaning.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a really good job of relating the photographs to your topic; I agree, it seems like quited a challenge. While the second photo is definitely interesting to look at, I agree that it has less relevance than the first and third. I think that even without a caption, the third is pretty easy to understand the meaning of (except for details like name and country of origin).

    ReplyDelete